Eliminate the guesswork when choosing toxin-free alternatives
I get asked all the time by my clients, which skincare and makeup products I recommend that are “clean”. Our skin is our biggest organ, so it makes sense that if we are concerned about our health and the foods we put into our bodies, we would be just as concerned about what goes on them. Traditional makeup is surprisingly toxic to the body. A woman using an average amount of traditional makeup will apply more than 500 chemicals to her skin. Eliminating external toxins that can play havoc on hormone balance and put more stress on the liver’s detoxification process is a foundational lifestyle step for one’s improved health and energy.
Achieving the perfect glow doesn’t need to compromise your health.
Thankfully, many companies now offer toxin-free makeup products that use ingredients that have been verified to be safe, beautiful, and work as well, if not better, than traditional. Even better, there are organizations that dedicate their time to identifying and introducing only healthy, toxin-free products on the market. However, trying to figure out which products are safe and right for your individual preferences can be overwhelming.
If you are like me, you may dread wasting time reading lots of product reviews and labels for ingredients. It’s hard to know what to trust. One needs to read past the well-placed press release and marketing hyperbole to make an informed choice. Having a science-based objective skincare and makeup ingredient checker on hand helps to eliminate the guesswork. Even better, you can avoid endlessly wandering the beauty aisles when you have these handy tools as apps on your phone. Read on for the top 5 mobile apps I refer to when looking for safe, non-toxic skincare, makeup, and even household products to use.
Keeping yourself informed.
The first step to achieving a natural and healthy glow is by keeping yourself informed and being proactive in choosing only products that are clean, green, and truly good for your health. As more information and research is available, more people are becoming increasingly aware of what they are putting on their skin.
Many women are afraid to make the switch to natural makeup products because of the misconception that they are not effective. Natural cosmetic and skincare products are new, but if you foster an open mind, you will find out just how beneficial they are. Since they do not have any harsh chemicals and toxins, these products are better for your skin. Many even have nutritional value to support skin rejuvenation, refinement, and repair, without any possible side effects. However, even clean brands are known to change ingredients in their product formulations, so using ingredient checker apps is very helpful and can alert you if a product is no longer as safe.
Organic cosmetic products are made from natural ingredients grown on chemical-free farms. This offers a two-fold solution — not only are you saving yourself from the negative effects of chemicals in conventional makeup, but you are supporting healthy, natural, sustainable farming. Organic products are made from more eco-friendly ingredients and therefore minimize any negative impact on the environment.
Here are the top 5 apps I rely on to find clean products to put on my skin.
- Think Dirty (https://thinkdirtyapp.com/) Free and one of the most popular referencing 4.5K brands and 1.4M clean beauty, personal care, and household products. Enter the name or just scan the product barcode and Think Dirty will give you easy-to-understand info on the product, its ingredients, and cleaner options.
- EWG’s Healthy Living (Environmental Working Group) (https://www.ewg.org/apps/#) One of my favorites, this free app provides ratings for more than 120K food and personal care items. Their SkinDeep® cosmetic database lets you search for an ingredient, brand or product to guard against potential hazards and navigate towards cleaner options.
- CosmEthics (https://www.cosmethics.com/) You can use the app as a barcode scanner or use the search function to find the desired product. Once you land on a product page, you will see one of three badges that indicate the level of risk based on the ingredient lists. If the product has healthier alternatives, it will make suggestions. Users can also view the full ingredient list.
- Detox Me (https://silentspring.org/detox-me-app-tips-healthier-living) The free mobile app from Silent Spring Institute decodes product labels and finds non-toxic alternatives with a scan and provides lots of tips for a toxic-free lifestyle.
- Good Face (https://thegoodfaceproject.com/app) With this algorithm based, ingredient analyzer, you can learn how to choose safe ingredient skincare products based on your unique skin type, needs and lifestyle for a personalized skincare regimen.
Natural, clean beauty is a trend that’s catching on with women all over the world. Many women are beginning to see just how wonderful organic toxin-free makeup and skincare is and just how well it stacks up to its more toxic competitors. So, if it is healthier, more glowing skin that you want, choosing toxic-free products is your best choice, and using one of these ingredient checking apps makes it easier.